Wednesday, June 14, 2006

the sex lives of cannibals

that's the title of the book i'm halfway through. it's about this guy in his 20's who gets bored with his life and moves, with his girlfriend, to Tarawa, which is a remote island in the South Pacific in Kiribati.

any kind of travel stories are big and yummy for me and this is no exception. though, i'm not always so crazy about j. maarten's writing style. the book is a lot about his misadventures on this "tropical paradise". it sounds like a sucky place to try and live, to be honest.

when i pulled the book out on the metro to work this morning the chickie sitting next to me gasped and told me that she used to LIVE in Tarawa and that she had read that book a couples of months ago. i was really shocked. it seems that you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has even heard of Tarawa, let alone who have been there. i put away my book and we chatted and laughed the whole way to our stop. it was so cool meeting her.

yesterday and today Rachel, Yvette and I performed at the World Bank for this huge staff appreciation day they were having.

Chiaki was there, as well as my mom (who is a World Bank retiree), Myrinna (who is still staff there and is like my other mom), and a bunch of my moms old colleagues. i really really really wish i had a camera while i was onstage and could take video of mom and Myrinna in the audience while we danced. they are SO GOOFY. they clapped, they mouthed things at us, they danced along with the routines. i could barely contain myself, i wanted to double over and laugh so badly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home