Thursday, March 02, 2006

more dancing more...


This past Sunday I performed at Tribal Cafe at Asylum along with Summati and Romka. It was loads of fun. The crowd was large and very warm and supportive. I danced hip hop fusion to Akon's "Bellydancer" (again) and a new peice to "WindowLicker" by Aphex Twin. Gianma is a big Aphex Twin fan and suggested that I dance to it. It's inspired by Asharah's style. Me and Gianma were blown away by the 'ping pong' song (another Aphex Twin number) that she did at Tribal Cafe last summer. So this song has plenty of beeps and twiddles in it that I tried to reflect with my movements. At one point while I was rehearsing Gianma was standing in the corner with my bellydance cane in his hand and started waving it at me and saying "you missed that noise! there was a noise!". It was seriously funny. The day before the show at Asylum I was feeling like the spooky, drony part of WindowLicker was getting lost on me, so I started experimenting with this pause...rewind...fast forward effect with my movements. People really liked it. I wondered if it was noticeable but I got a lot of positive feedback on it. So, I'm gonna work on it some more. Summati was awesome. I couldn't beleive they were doing ATS, it looked so seamless and Romka kicked ass too. They did a choreography to I Cash Raadi. There were some SERIOUS hip drops in there, very nice.

It's been hectic...

Yesterday: 3 hour workshop with Jillina, perform at the Bellydance Superstars show

Today: 3 hour workshop with Bozenka, perform at the Bellydance Superstars show

Tommoro: catch a plane to Toronto and meet up with Raqs Sahara

Saturday: 4 hour workshop with Aida Noor, perform in Gala

Sunday: 4 hour workshop with Aida Noor, fly home

Monday: teach class for 3 hours, choreograph hip hop peice for Raqs West

Tuesday: teach hip hop peice to Raqs West

Wednesday: choreograph new peice for Saturday show?

Thursday: choreograph new peice for Saturday show?

Friday: Raqs Sahara rehearsal, choreograph for B2 performance class

Saturday: teach for 2 hours in the morning, perform in "A Celebration of Bellydance Fusion"

p.s - Sharon Kihara's belly must be made out of water.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ebony said...

i'll be doing it all again at the Celebration of Fusion Show. you should cooome!!! http://www.joyofmotion.org/perfsched.htm

7:48 AM  
Blogger Kumie said...

You look very nubian in that picture.

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home